Saturday, July 22, 2006

i wanna be bad

This is a little indulgent..
Growing up I was never confused with who or what I was. I always knew. But it took awhile for me to present myself to the world cos I needed to be comfortable with myself first. I'm totally in love with myself and I am my own best friend. And I've always believed that you need to truly love yourself first before you can actually love someone else. That way, even when you are alone, you'll never be truly alone cos you always have yourself. I've always been inspired by movies, tv and music. Growing up, I was exposed to the media world as both my parents are media activists. As such, I am doing a tribute to my favourite iconic characters of the past. Icons that helped me in my lowliest hours. Helped inspire and crazify me. These are characters from tvs and movies and not real life people.


one
LUCY VAN PELT the peanuts gang
The original crabby girl. Lucy loves being bossy and loud and selfish! Her smiles and motives are anything but angelic. It's either her way or the highway. When it comes to compliments, Lucy only like receiving them. If at the rare occassion she is giving one, there's usually something devious behind it. Her often mad ramblings sometimes has meaning to it. Especially when she's at her doctor's booth or at Schroeder's piano comprehending love.

two
PIZAZZ the misfits
Nobody can wear that much of garish outifts and loud makeup and pull it off with style except Pizazz. The lead singer of The Misfits, she was the constant bubblegum in Jem's properly coifed pink hair. You can never keep her down and just when you wouldn't expect it, she and gang bursts out into songs with such campy titles Winning Is Everything, Takin It All, I Love A Scandal, Makin Mischief, Congratulations To Me.

three
ALEX FORREST fatal attraction
Hell had no fury like a woman scorned. All she wanted was to love and be loved but what happens? Crummy guy decides he doesn't want anything to do with her. Her anger and her efforts to destroy his life is quite inspiring. Using the word NUTS to describe her is an understatement. As a kid, that whole rabbit scene threw me off guard. I was like, this woman means business. And the final scenes where she goes berserk and slashes and slashes were awesome! Glenn Close really rocked this role.

four
MALEFICIENT sleeping beauty
The original Disney villain. Pure evil, imposing, gothic, terrying and powerful. I believe this is one villain that puts the other villains to shame. But I can understand her anger. First she doesn't get invited to a dinner party and then the good fairies discover a loophole in her curse. So from a matter of preserving her honor, it became an egoistic power trip to destroy all those that defy her. In her own words, "You poor simple fools, thinking you could defeat me, me! The mistress of all evil." And " Now shall you deal with me and all the powers of hell". Simply awesome.

five
URSULA the little mermaid
Oh how I love Ursula. She made being bad look fun. Ursula reminded me of a fallen socialite trying to climb back the social ladder. Overweight, over-rich, over-pampered, over-the-top society hostess gone mad, she is all flair, flamboyance, and theatricality mixed with a touch of con-artistry as someone once put. She is ruthless with a flair. She bounced, she jiggled, she sang, she pouted, she schemed. Her business proposal to lure Ariel into her trap is such a joy to watch. When she finally lost it and became all big and terrifying, she looked good doing evil. Nothing stands in her way to become ruler of what she wants. All Hail Queen Ursula.

six
NICOLE JULIAN popular
When this show was on, I used to wait and anticipate each episode every week just for the satisfaction of seeing Nicole in action. Nicole Julian wrecked terror wherever she was and to whoever she met. Even her bestest friend was sometimes the victim of her vicious plots. Most of the time her ideas and schemes were for the betterment of her social status. To make her all powerful and terrifying. Often twisted and shocking, her plans are merely a hidden call for attention. Becos underneath that ice cold exterior, lies a warm warm heart which was displayed in a few episodes. And just when everybody fell in love with the good Nicole, the bad Nicole popped back up proving to the world that you cannot keep a good bad girl down. I wanted to worship at her throne after each episode. And if you think about it, Popular was kinda of a campy show. With all the usual soap drama and comedies thrown in . It was happy hour at its best.

seven
KATHRYN MERTEUIL cruel intentions
The beautiful Kathryn. How she ruled my heart at one point. People close to me know that I was in love with her the moment she appeared on screen. This is the epitome of what bitch is. Outside goodie, inside baddie. Her coke filled crucifix, her insane plot to destroy those around her, her using others around her, her wanting to sleep with her step-brother, so delicious!! I love this woman! At the end, when she was exposed for what she really is and tears streamed down her cheek, I had tears in my eyes too. I was rooting for her the whole time and I felt what she was feeling. To have her entire world crumble in a single moment. A world she worked hard to build and preserve. It was a sad ending. Who cares if Sebastien died? Stupid fella fell in love. He had it coming. But Kathryn ruled. She knew what she had to do to be on top.

3 comments:

Collecting Moments said...

gosh, "Popular" those good old college days. The morning after, we will be talkin about the show. Who is hot, who is not....i love Mary Cheery, such a silly character. hehe

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LUCY TOO. Such a bitch to everyone. But her unrequited love for schroeder..i can totally understand..

Dont you just love her pom pom do?

Anonymous said...

You make being BAD angelic. how ironic!