Thursday, September 06, 2007

lil l o v e

I turned 25 about a week ago and it was an exhausting 3night nonstop excuse to party!! Had way too much fun with alot of my favourite people. There were a few people who I wished could have joined me too but being so far away in the Land Down Under, I guess it was impossible but I still feel the love.

This year's bday celebration was abit more lowkey than last year. I don't know why.. I think I'm abit fed up with all the expectations people have about turning a year older and everyone wishes everyone would remember their bday. I don't. Never did. As long as I acknowledge my bday and am happy with what I did, I'm glad. Guess what? For the first time, in eons, I did not blow candles on any cakes this year. A break in tradition? Perhaps.. Am I glad? Maybe..

So anyway, a week before my bday, my mum suggests that instead of going all out and spending many and being indulgent on my bday, why don't I do something nice for a change? And I'm like "But spending money and partying is something nice!!" What she meant was giving back to society. Do a little charity work. I was appalled by the very thought but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. So we hired a caterer to provide a nice scrumptious luncheon for the residents of The Little Sister Of Hope, an old folk's home.

Then on my bday, we drove over with the caterers just in time for lunch. We liad out the food, prepared the tables, laid out the plates and positioned ourselves as waiters. Then the clock struck noon and out they came. All wrinkled and bending over. Some surprising still in good health. Despite the age factor, they were all very pleasant and sweet. The head Nun called me out to the center of the dining hall, and everyone sang Happy Birthday then they took turns shaking my hand and giving me well wishes. I was moved to tears. It was like accepting an award.

Lunch was served and despite the nun's encouragement to go and make small talk, I refrained. One small step at a time please. Besides, I'm never one for small talk with strangers. Once everyone had their fill, we helped clean up. I must say the Elderly here are very efficient and not depended on people. I was very impressed.

I came home that day knowing I had done something good. Made me glow. It was my gift to myself. Maybe I should make it a tradition :) Besides, if Paris Hilton can change her outlook on life and become a cause for charity. So can I. But that doesn't mean, the wild partying has to stop. I can have my cake and eat it too!!

So yea.. that was the Angelina Jolie in me doing my bit for the world. The papparazzi didn't manage to get a pic of me doing my charity bit but they did crash our party at Loft. Here we are..



Til my next adventure..

No comments: